Deprecated: mysql_connect(): The mysql extension is deprecated and will be removed in the future: use mysqli or PDO instead in /home/soccerscene/www/www2/ss_gen/matchdetails.php on line 15
Statistics: Under 21 [Powered by tplSoccerStats]
Soccer Scene

Change:  Move to:
22.05.1998 at 19:00 Milebush, Castlebar Attendance: 4000
Under 21 0 - 1 Northern Ireland
Referee: John Mc Dermott Friendly / PROG-match

None. Adrian Coote 53 mins,
Opening squads
Dean Delaney
John Burns
Robbie Ryan
Danny Boxall
Brian Barry- Murphy
Kevin Kilbane
Alan Maybury
Stephen Baker
Neale Fenn
Stephen Grant (1977)
Niall Inman
R. Carroll;
D. Griffin,
B. McGlinchey,
L. Burns,
D. Waterman,
P. Mulryan,
D. Johnson,
G. Whitley,
A. Coote,
P. McVeigh,
S. Friars.
Brendan Murphy
Tommy Morgan
Alan Murphy
Alan Mahon
Alan Murphy -> Alan Maybury
Alan Mahon -> Stephen Grant (1977)
Tommy Morgan -> Danny Boxall
L. Feeney for McVeigh
Yellow cards
None. None
Red cards
None. None
Other statistics
0 Shots 0
0 Shots on goal 0
0 Offsides 0
0 Corner kicks 0
0 Free kicks 0
0 Penalties 0
Match report

Pictures from the match
Republic pipped by energetic North

Republic of Ireland 0 Northern Ireland 1

The Republic of Ireland suffered a surprise defeat in the deciding match of the inaugural Under-21 Triangular Tournament at Milebush Park, Castlebar, last night.

A draw would have been sufficient to give them victory, but they were pipped by a Northern Ireland side full of enthusiasm and energy. A goal in the 53rd minute by Norwich City striker Adrian Coote gave Northern Ireland a memorable win to lift the President's Cup before a crowd of 4,000.

The Irish defence was caught cold when Coote cut inside from the left wing to slide the ball brilliantly past goalkeeper Deane Doherty. Irish manager Ian Evans was left to bemoan the fact that he was without six of the players which had defeated Scotland 3-0 in their opening round match of the series.

Those who were missing included David Connolly, Ian Harte, Colin Hawkins, Darryl Clare, Derek O'Connor and Michael Cummins.

Ireland were forced to rely too heavily in the first-half on the talents of Kevin Kilbane. The skilful Kilbane had a number of opportunities in the opening half, but was denied by brilliant goalkeeping from Northern Ireland's Roy Carroll, arguably the Man of the Match. When Ireland fell unexpectedly behind in the early moments of the second-half, they faced an enormous test of their character and resilience.

Coote, almost increased their lead for the North in the 63rd minute with a headed effort following Sean Friar's corner kick.

Ireland increased the tempo in a bid to retrieve the situation, but chances were limited for Neil Fenn.

In the final analysis the North's stubborn defensive play and man-marking tactics at midfield worked exceptionally well.

Ireland had a late claim for a penalty when Alan Mahon was up-ended in the penalty area but Dublin referee John McDermott waved on play.

REPUBLIC OF IRELAND: D. Delaney; A. Maybury, B. Ryan, S. Baker, D. Boxall, B. Barry-Murphy, N. Inman, J. Burns, S. Grant, N. Fenn, K. Kilbane.

Subs: A. Mahon for Grant; T. Morgan for Boxall; A. Murphy for Maybury.

NORTHERN IRELAND: R. Carroll; D. Griffin, B. McGlinchey, L. Burns, D. Waterman, P. Mulryan, D. Johnson, G. Whitley, A. Coote, P. McVeigh, S. Friars.

Sub: L. Feeney for McVeigh.
Referee: J. McDermott (Dublin).
Powered by tplSoccerStats © 2003 TPL Design

Site Design and Hosting by DriverWebDesign.